Thursday, May 5, 2011

Time to get going ...

As of today I have been in the UK for three months. I can hardly believe that it has already been that long.  In some ways, it feels like I have been here forever and in other ways it feels like I just got here yesterday.  

I have now settled into my flat, had my first weekend holiday on my own and had my first visitor from the states.  Finally this is feeling more like my home.  I am starting to adjust but still have more to learn.  It was really interesting having my good friend out for a visit because she was able to observe all the differences that I have been seeing over the past few months myself.   Meeting people here is more difficult because it seems the people aren't quite as open to striking up conversations with strangers as they are back home.  I think I'm often seen as strange when I go out with friends here since I will approach people at random and just start talking.  I do need to venture out more to meet people outside of work because the excuse of 'I'm just getting settled' really isn't going too fly much longer.

I have also experienced my first major bout of home sickness.  My grandfather fell ill a few weeks ago and has subsequently passed away.  It has been really hard to be away from my family during this time.   I knew that these things were likely to happen while I was away but wasn't sure how I'd handle them.  It just wasn't going to be reasonable for me to go home to be with my family but I do miss them terribly and hope they know that my thoughts and prayers are with them.  I just have to find my own ways to pay tribute and remember my grandpa from here so that I can in some small way feel like I'm part of the bigger picture back home during this time.  I will definitely be ready for my trip home come July.

I also came to the realization the other day that I really hadn't done any traveling in Europe since I'd moved here and now the year is nearly half over!  Both with business and personal travel throughout England I have been very fortunate to see many of the major cities here (London, Bath, Brighton, York, Manchester, etc.) but I haven't gotten to take advantage of the travel experiences that are right at my doorstep beyond England. 

London: Big Ben / Parliment




Bright Pier

Bath: Pulteney Bridge

So that I don't let this chance pass me by, I have set a goal for myself to travel to (at least) five other countries before the end of this year.  This actually really shouldn't be a stretch as many major European cities are so easy to get to from London.  I can easily get to Edinburgh, Rome, Paris, Madrid, Munich, or Marrakesh all within just a few hours from here.    

To jump start my goal I have booked a long weekend at the end of May to Amsterdam.  I have never been to the Netherlands and have wanted to go for quite some time.  I will have three full days in the city to explore so I may even choose to take a day trip to Antwerp and Brussels so I can check Belgium off my list as well (see how I work it, two countries with one trip!).  I have heard wonderful things about the city and canals so I'm excited to take my camera and share lots of pictures!

I'd really like to take a full week to explore Greece perhaps this fall and would love to take a two week photo safari to Africa early next year but I will take baby steps for now.  Thanks for catching up with my blog and I promise to try to update more frequently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment