Monday, February 28, 2011

Rain rain go away, come again some other day ...

I suppose this little life experiment of mine is yet to be determined if I look back and say it was the best decision I ever made or if it turned out to be a huge mistake but one thing is for sure:  this is going to be one of the biggest learning experiences in my life and I will never see the world the same again. 


I have always said that the only way I have ever been able to grow as a person is to push my limits and see if I can grow to a greater potential by taking one step beyond what I think I can do.  I have yet to hit the point where I haven't been strong enough to figure out how to take that next step so I guess I'll just see how far I can go and make the most out of every success and misstep along the way.


I'm finally starting to find my stride in the new city.  For the most part I have figured out the transport and can get to most places with a little planning ahead of time (my version of planes, trains and automobiles - trains, tubes and buses). 




I have had a great time at happy hours with the group from work.  They are a great group of people and they are so social, they pretty much have a standing happy hour on Friday's after work at the Hogarth which is the pub across the street from the office. They have promised to do a pub crawl with me through Teddington in the coming weeks so I can see the "classier" places around the area but I can't see it getting any better then the Hogarth! And as you can see by the photo above, my bus stop to go home is right outside the front door so it is actually pretty convenient to get home after drinking.  I have to say I love the British sense of humor.  I was laughing so hard on Friday night that my stomach was literally sore the next day.  I also got an extensive lesson on service levels and tipping.  There are really no table servers in the pubs in England so if you want a drink, you go to the bar and order.  I was reprimanded on my third round of drinks for over tipping.   Apparently, tipping more doesn't mean you get a higher level of service so the expectation is a bit lower for the amount you tip here - good to know!  


This weekend was my first step in meeting new people outside of work.  I have found a few groups on meetup.com to connect with people who have similar interests. Saturday was lunch with other American expats living in London.  We met at Cafe Pacifico for authentic Mexican food.  Having moved from Colorado I think I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to Mexican food but I was actually really impressed (although I have to admit my expectations were pretty low on what Mexican food would be like in London).  The chips and salsa reminded me of home and while I don't think they have really mastered the concept of "smothering" all in all it was a great meal.  The group was very diverse in people from those that had just relocated to London like myself and some that had been here for many many years.  It was interesting to hear their different perspectives on the city.  Many of the newcomers had a common gripe about the weather which has been pretty much non-stop rain since I arrived three weeks ago.  I have finally given up on staying in on the days when it rains because if I do I never get out of the flat! I have been reassured by many that this spring and summer will bring at least a few days that will have 'intervals of sunshine' - gotta love those intervals and make the most of them when they pop up I guess.   Many of the expats had lived here quite a long time and had become citizens here.  One topic that I found particularly interesting was the discussion of the 'melting pot'.  How we often talk about the States as being a cultural melting pot but how really London is a much better representation of a true melting pot then what you see in the States and I do tend to agree.  While there is some diversity in the US for the most part in the major cities many of the different cultural influences are separated into their own distinct neighborhoods which doesn't seem so much the case here.  I was walking in Convent Garden area on Saturday and I heard five different languages in walking a single city block. It's such an amazing opportunity to meet people from all over the world. 


Sunday I woke up to the sun shining and was so excited because I had planned to go back into the city to meet up with a photography group for a five mile walk along an abandoned railway line to take pictures.  I took the 45 minute train ride into the city (delays due to upgrades to the overground lines so the city can prepare for the 2012 Olympics) and a 30 minute ride on the tube (subway) and when I resurfaced at the Finsbury Park station it was pouring down rain.  I did find the group which was actually pretty large given the weather and after a quick vote, we had decided to grab a coffee and head to the Museum of London to see their street photography exhibit.   Another great group of people and although it wasn't the day I had expected it was still a great day in the city.  There are so many museums throughout the city and they are all free to the public.  There really is no lack of things to do and see - I really do love London and all it has to offer if you get out and experience it.


One of the expats in the group on Saturday recommended the Borough Market for what she claimed was the "best grilled cheese sandwich you will ever eat in your entire lifetime."  With claims like that I just cannot resist checking it out!  I do love me a good grilled cheese sandwich...

1 comment:

  1. Ahh I see you are finding a bit of a groove! I am so happy to hear that! Grilled Cheese is great and don't worry... we will have good Mexican food when you are out here in July! My treat! Hugs sista!

    ReplyDelete