Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I'm sorry what did you say?

So of course one of the most interesting parts of getting integrated into my new culture is the difference in accent and dialect.  From time to time I do have to ask for something to be repeated or play my dumb American card and ask them what some term or phrase means in context.  I have jotted down a few words or phrases that I've picked up along the way (although I'm sure there are hundreds more that I haven't listed here).  Feel free to add some to the comment section below that I may have missed ...


My dictionary for English to American translations (keep in mind I work with almost all men in the sales group):


cheers = hello, goodbye, thank you (I think of it like Aloha in Hawaii)
and some bits  = a little extra, used in context "how long do you take for lunch?" "An hour and some bits"
bespoke = custom, specially made
not = zero
boot = car trunk
bonnet = hood of the car
windscreen = windshield
direction indicators = turn signals
pissed = drunk
smart = dressy, dressed up, put together well
fancy = to like or desire something or someone
fortnight = two weeks
pikey = term for gypsies or people that live in caravans
trousers = pants
uni = university
diary = schedule, calendar
chips = french fries
crisps = chips
pudding = general term for desert
biscuit = cookie
holiday = vacation
snog = make-out, kissing
in a strop = annoyed
nappies = diapers
knackered = tired
hoover = vacum
rubbish = crappy
chav = juvenile delinquent, low class
posh = upper class, well-mannered
bin = trash can
lift = elevator
charity shop = thirft store
loo / water closet  = restroom
you alright? = how are you?
let = rent
post = mail

2 comments:

  1. What does jumper mean? I think jacket, but not sure, and also mind the gap of course. I learned a few that are considered really bad so I won't repeat them....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jumper is a sweater as far as I can tell but that is a great one as they use it all the time :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete